Additions to Part 2
There have been no additions to Part 2 in the August Drug Tariff.
Generally, items which fall into Part 2 of the Drug Tariff have no wholesaler discount, you are potentially dispensing at a loss. You may consider sending the prescription away to a local Pharmacy to be dispensed.
Additions to Part 8a
Only 3 items have been added to the August Drug Tariff and these 3 are:
• Betahistine 24mg tablets have been added to the August Drug Tariff as a Category C with the reimbursement based on Medreich Ltd. Currently it appears to be only available through Alliance Healthcare with limited stocks.
• Lamivudine 50mg/5ml oral solution – 240ml has gone into the Drug Tariff with the reimbursement price based on Epivir.
• Naldemedine 200microgram tablets has also gone into the August Drug Tariff again as a category C with the reimbursement price based on Rizmoic. Currently available through all 3 wholesalers
Previously to August Drug Tariff, if any of the above items had been prescribed generically, you would have needed to endorse the brand, packs size and price paid in the left-hand endorsing column. As these items are now in the Drug Tariff, no endorsement is needed.
Deletions to Part 8a
23 items have been deleted from Part 8a of the August Drug Tariff- ones which I think you will find of interest are:
• Miconazole 2% vaginal cream, more commonly known as Gyno-Daktarin. This was discontinued in March 2023.
• Ibuprofen 100mg/5ml oral suspension 5ml sachets sugar free pack size 12 has been removed from the August Drug Tariff, however the 16 pack is still listed.
• Torasemide 2.5mg tablets more commonly known as Torem 2.5mg. This product was discontinued in February 2023.
Items which have been removed from the Drug Tariff part 8A can still be prescribed and dispensed but you will need to endorse the prescription with manufacturer, pack size and price paid.
Other Changes to Part 8a
19 items are listed in ‘Other Changes, ones which you may find of interest are:
• Domperidone 1mg/ml oral suspension sugar free has moved from a Category A with a reimbursement price of £65.18 to a Category C with the reimbursement price based on Zentiva Pharma UK Ltd. The reimbursement price has dropped to £49.32.
• Fluvoxamine 100mg tablets have remained as a Category C item but where the reimbursement price was based on Wockhardt UK Ltd, is now based on Faverin. It is available through all 3 wholesalers but currently seems to be out of stock with everyone.
• Nitrofurantoin 100mg modified-release capsules again has remained as a Category C but the reimbursement has moved from Macrobid to Advanz Pharma. Macrobid was a solus item with Alliance and its looking like this arrangement has remained the same.
Just as a reminder the items listed above are all Category M items so the reimbursement price should be fixed until end of September 2023. However, the purchase price can vary.