Drug Tariff News
9th January 2023 - Source: Amanda Chell
Additions to Part 2
6 items have been added to Part 2 of the December Drug Tariff.
Ones which I think you would find of interest are:
- Lenalidomide 15mg capsules
- Primacor 10mg/10ml solution for injection ampoules
- Revlimid 15mg capsules
Items which fall into part 2 generally have no wholesaler discount and so you would be dispensing at a loss. Therefore, these are items which you may consider sending the prescription to a local pharmacy.
Additions to Part 8a
Interestingly there have been no additions to Part 8a of the December Drug Tariff.
Deletions to Part 8a
Only 3 items have been deleted from the December Drug Tariff- these are:
- Follitropin alfa 450 unit powder and solvent for solution for injection vials and 1,050unit powder and solvent for solution for injection vials more commonly known as Gonal-f, these were both discontinued in April 22.
- Human papillomavirus (type 6, 11, 16, 18) vaccine (adsorbed) suspension for injection 0.5ml pre-filled syringes more commonly known as Gardasil -again this was discontinued in April 22.
Items which have been removed from the Drug Tariff part 8A can still be prescribed and dispensed but you will need to endorse the prescription with manufacturer, pack size and price paid.
Other Changes to Part 8a
9 items are listed in ‘Other Changes, ones which I think you will find of interest are:
- Clotrimazole 500mg pessary and Clotrimazole 2% cream has moved from a Category C with the reimbursement based on Canesten Combi to a Category C with the reimbursement price based on the Canesten Combi with soft gel pessary. The reimbursement price has dropped from £11.06 – £6.30. If you have the original pack on the shelf, this will need to be prescribed branded to ensure you get the correct reimbursement.
- Peppermint water BP 1973 has moved from a Category A to a Category C with the reimbursement price based on Martindale’s Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Prasterone 6.5mg pessaries has remained as a Category C but has had Special Container rules added – the Special Container rule is on a 28 pack. DDS would advise to stick to the original pack when dispensing. Also, as a reminder this product is a schedule 4 (Part 2) Controlled Drug.