Drug Tariff News
4th December 2023 - Source: Amanda Chell
November Drug Tariff News
Additions to Part 2
There have been only 2 items added to Part 2 in the November Drug Tariff- these two are:
- Rimegepant 75mg oral lyophilisates sugar free
- Vydura 75mg oral lyophilisates
Generally, items which fall into Part 2 of the Drug Tariff have no wholesaler discount, you are potentially dispensing at a loss. You may consider sending the prescription away to a local Pharmacy to be dispensed.
Additions to Part 8a
Only 3 items have been added to Part 8a of the November Drug Tariff, and these 3 are:
- Econazole 1% vaginal cream has gone into the Drug Tariff as a Category C item with the reimbursement price based on Gyno-Pevaryl. Currently this product appears to only be available through PSUK and Alliance
- Omeprazole 1mg/ml oral suspension sugar free has gone into the Drug Tariff as a Category C item with the reimbursement price based on Rosemont. This product was previously listed in Part 8B (Specials)
- Urofollitropin 75unit powder and solvent for solution for injection vials has gone into the November Drug Tariff with the reimbursement price based on Fostimon.
Additions to Part 16 (Notes on Charges)
Drospirenone 3mg / Estetrol 14.2mg tablets
(Drovelis is the branded name for Drospirenone 3mg / Estetrol 14.2mg tablets)
This product has been added to The List of Contraceptive Drugs to be Dispensed Free of Charge:
- Gepretix (Progesterone micronised 100mg capsules)
This product has been added to List of medicines covered by the HRT PPC
Deletions to Part 8a
4 items have been deleted from Part 8a of the November Drug Tariff- ones which I think you will find of interest are:
- Benzydamine 3% cream, pack sizes 35g and 100g have been removed from the November Drug Tariff. This product is more commonly known as Difflam, was discontinued in May 2023.
- Coal tar extract 5% shampoo more commonly known as Alphosyl 2 – 1 has been removed from the November Drug Tariff, this product was also discontinued in May 2023.
- Liquid paraffin light 82.8% bath additive, more commonly known as Cetraben Emollient has been removed from the November Drug Tariff. This product was discontinued in April 2023. There are however a number of alternative Cetraben still available.
Items which have been removed from the Drug Tariff part 8A can still be prescribed and dispensed but you will need to endorse the prescription with manufacturer, pack size and price paid.
Other Changes to Part 8a
10 items are listed in ‘Other Changes, ones which you may find of interest are:
- Macrogol compound oral powder sachets NPF sugar free has remained as a category C but the reimbursement price is now based on Cosmocol and has increased slightly. Cosmocol had a price increase in September 2023.
- Testosterone 16.2mg/g gel (20.25mg per actuation) (Testogel) has been reworded in the Drug Tariff as Testosterone 16.2mg/g transdermal gel (20.25mg per actuation). This also applies to the Tostran and Testim.
- Estradiol 0.06% gel (750microgram per actuation) (Oestrogel) has been reworded in the Drug Tariff and now reads as Estradiol 0.06% transdermal gel (750microgram per actuation)
- Estradiol 1mg gel sachets has been reworded again in the November Drug Tariff and now reads Estradiol 1mg transdermal gel sachets.
All of the above may need to have DMD mapping applied.