Drug Tariff News
28th November 2022 - Source: Amanda Chell
Additions to Part 2
13 items have been added to Part 2 of the September Drug Tariff – ones which I think you may find of interest are:
- Brilique tablets (ALL)
- Creon 25000 gastro-resistant capsules
- Imiquimod cream 250mg sachets (ALL)
Items which fall into part 2 generally have no wholesaler discount and so you would be dispensing at a loss. Therefore, these are items which you may consider sending the prescription to a local pharmacy.
Additions to Part 8a
21 items have been added to Part 8a of the September Drug Tariff, ones which I think you will fine of interest are:
- Liothyronine 5microgram, 10microgram and 20microgram capsules have all gone into the September Drug Tariff as a Category C item with the reimbursement price based on Roma Pharmaceuticals LTD. Pack size on all strengths is 28 capsules.
- Melatonin 1mg, 2mg, 5mg and 5mg tablets have been added to the September Drug Tariff as a Category C with the reimbursement price based on Adaflex, pack size 30. Available from AAH and Alliance however only Alliance is showing a Reduced Wholesaler Discount of 5%.
- Sodium valproate 150mg and 300mg modified-release capsules have both gone into the September Drug Tariff with the reimbursement price based on Episenta, pack size 30. Again, both available from AAH and Alliance but no wholesaler discount available from either wholesaler.
Previously if any of the items above had been prescribed generically, you would have had to endorse the brand, manufacturer, pack size and price paid in the left-hand column. As the items are now in the Drug Tariff, no endorsement is required.
Deletions to Part 8a
8 items have been deleted from the September Drug Tariff- items which you may find of interest are listed below:
- Sodium valproate 150mg and 300mg modified-release capsules, pack size 100 have been deleted from the September Drug Tariff however the 30 caps pack size has been added.
- Ephedrine 0.5% + 1% nasal drops have been removed from the September Drug Tariff. Both strengths have been discontinued.
- White soft paraffin 10% spray, 250ml has been removed from the September Drug Tariff. This was more commonly known as Dermamist. This product was discontinued in April 2022.
Items which have been removed from the Drug Tariff part 8A can still be prescribed and dispensed but you will need to endorse the prescription with manufacturer, pack size and price paid.
Other Changes to Part 8a
Only 4 items are listed in ‘Other Changes, ones which I think you will find of interest are:
- Amantadine 50mg/5ml oral solution sugar free has moved from a Category C with the reimbursement price based on Northumbria Pharma Ltd, to a Category A. The reimbursement price has remained the same at £140.00 but you can purchase it for around £120.00.
- Eslicarbazepine 800mg tablets has moved from a Category C with the reimbursement price based on Zebinix to a Category A. The reimbursement price has stayed the same at £136.00 but you can purchase this generically for around £60.00 – massive profit margin.
- Irbesartan 300mg / Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg tablets have moved from a Category C to a Category A. The reimbursement price has gone up slightly from £15.93 to £17.95, this can be purchased for around £13.00 so a health profit to be had.